2nd Generation Specific 1986-1992 Discussion

ignition coils

Old 01-03-2006, 11:35 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: pueblo, colorado
Posts: 193
Default

ive heard our stock coils are good enough. would it be worth upgrading to something like a "mallory canister type coil"? any gas MPG difference?
cdaleracer669 is offline  
Old 01-04-2006, 10:26 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: watertown wisconsin
Posts: 1,331
Default

the fc coils have much more voltage then the canister coils. if anything run a jacobs rotary pro pac with the stock coils. i tried a msd and jacobs. was not happy with the msd but was very fond of the jacobs.
fc3sboy1 is offline  
Old 01-04-2006, 05:14 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,784
Default

stock fc ignition's are terrible. Most rotary owners convert to a dizzy setup and use ford coils from the 5.0 mustangs.
Dramon_Killer is offline  
Old 01-04-2006, 05:27 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wayne, NJ
Posts: 4,838
Default

the stock coils are the best performing for most applications. if youre going to upgrade id only do so if youre suffering ignition breakup, which generally comes with a more highly modified rotary.



so it depends on the rest of your application really, and dont listen to dramon, seriously.



If you want to upgrade anyway many peopple have success, and positive comments on the MSD Blaster SS Coils, theyre not too pricey and are available in most places.



kevin.
teknics is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 01:08 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: California
Posts: 22,466
Default

Originally Posted by teknics' post='792002' date='Jan 4 2006, 03:27 PM

the stock coils are the best performing for most applications. if youre going to upgrade id only do so if youre suffering ignition breakup, which generally comes with a more highly modified rotary.



so it depends on the rest of your application really, and dont listen to dramon, seriously.



If you want to upgrade anyway many peopple have success, and positive comments on the MSD Blaster SS Coils, theyre not too pricey and are available in most places.



kevin.


i'm thinking a good upgrade would be to not run wasted spark on the leadings, and just run 2 coils. but for a stock ecu car stock ignition is best. if you put a standalone in there, you prolly wanna add an msd box or so
j9fd3s is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 01:56 PM
  #6  
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 5,426
Default

Originally Posted by j9fd3s' post='792481' date='Jan 6 2006, 02:08 PM

i'm thinking a good upgrade would be to not run wasted spark on the leadings, and just run 2 coils. but for a stock ecu car stock ignition is best. if you put a standalone in there, you prolly wanna add an msd box or so
How would that work, one coil for each rotor, and fire the sparks at the same time for each rotor? (I'm still learning ignition)
Baldy is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 02:38 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 959
Default

Dramon is crazy apparently. The stock systems are fine for stock to midly modified rotary engines. When you get above 1.5bar and high RPMs/High HP...upgrades become more needed. MSD boxes are good way to go...
One320B is offline  
Old 01-07-2006, 10:18 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: California
Posts: 22,466
Default

Originally Posted by Baldy' post='792495' date='Jan 6 2006, 11:56 AM

How would that work, one coil for each rotor, and fire the sparks at the same time for each rotor? (I'm still learning ignition)


the stock setup, fires both leading plugs at the same time, they both share the same circuit, one plug fires on the exhaust and one fires into the compressed air fuel mixture. its called "wasted spark" they use it a lot on 4 cylinders.



there are 2 problems with that:



1. it takes energy to jump 2 gaps, that sometimes could be used to fire the plug

2. if one plug is fouled, then neither fire as they are on the same circuit.



my thought is you could use the same ecu signal, ignitor etc, but instead of 1 dual ended coil, use 2 single coils, that way it still acts like a wasted spark system.



i dunno if it would actually work any better, i havent actually tried it or anything.
j9fd3s is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Ruthenian
3rd Generation Specific
0
05-22-2005 11:03 PM
rx7man629
2nd Generation Specific
7
01-08-2005 03:10 AM
FikseRxSeven
2nd Generation Specific
6
02-21-2004 06:54 AM
rx-7foreva86
2nd Generation Specific
6
01-31-2004 04:45 PM
mx-7
Single Turbo Discussion
8
09-28-2003 07:10 AM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ignition coils


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.