2nd Generation Specific 1986-1992 Discussion

Custom Steering wheel Center

Old 01-17-2011, 03:18 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 104
Default

didnt like the stock one so made my own
RX-7racer is offline  
Old 01-17-2011, 06:33 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kissimmee FL.
Posts: 1,579
Default

Pretty cool, always nice to see people doing new and different things.
sen2two is offline  
Old 01-18-2011, 08:04 AM
  #3  
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 5,426
Default

I spy an unbroken demister grill!
Baldy is offline  
Old 01-18-2011, 01:39 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 104
Default

Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
I spy an unbroken demister grill!




lol yeah that was among the few things that werent broken!
RX-7racer is offline  
Old 01-19-2011, 09:29 PM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 33
Default

Originally Posted by RX-7racer View Post
lol yeah that was among the few things that werent broken!




looks so much better, now i gotta go create something!
blockedwizard is offline  
Old 01-19-2011, 09:32 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 104
Default

Originally Posted by blockedwizard View Post
looks so much better, now i gotta go create something!




yeah i m really happy with the way it came out, it goes well with the white gauges
RX-7racer is offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 04:30 PM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 33
Default

Originally Posted by RX-7racer View Post
yeah i m really happy with the way it came out, it goes well with the white gauges




how did you make that, if u dont mind me asking.
blockedwizard is offline  
Old 01-20-2011, 05:27 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 104
Default

Originally Posted by blockedwizard View Post
how did you make that, if u dont mind me asking.




i cut the circle out of 1/4 inch polycarbonate( really any plastic or metal would work ) using a drill press, the oem center measures roughly 2.18" D, had to sand it down to get it there. then i roughed it up with 800 grit sand paper and sprayed it with a gloss black. for the rx-7 symbol i drew it up on auto cad and sized it to fit inside 2.18" D circle. i roughed up the circle again, this time with 1000 grit sand paper. then took blue painters tape and covered the entire circle. then cut out the auto cad circle with the symbol and taped it to the circle. i used a razor blade to cut the ouline of the symbol, making sure it also cut the tape. then peeled the unwanted tape away and sprayed it with gloss white. i peeled the rest of the tape off after about ten minutes and sprayed it with a clear coat.
RX-7racer is offline  
Old 01-21-2011, 10:05 AM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 33
Default

Originally Posted by RX-7racer View Post
i cut the circle out of 1/4 inch polycarbonate( really any plastic or metal would work ) using a drill press, the oem center measures roughly 2.18" D, had to sand it down to get it there. then i roughed it up with 800 grit sand paper and sprayed it with a gloss black. for the rx-7 symbol i drew it up on auto cad and sized it to fit inside 2.18" D circle. i roughed up the circle again, this time with 1000 grit sand paper. then took blue painters tape and covered the entire circle. then cut out the auto cad circle with the symbol and taped it to the circle. i used a razor blade to cut the ouline of the symbol, making sure it also cut the tape. then peeled the unwanted tape away and sprayed it with gloss white. i peeled the rest of the tape off after about ten minutes and sprayed it with a clear coat.




Looks top notch for sure. I would buy one of those if I wasn't changing my wheel, I hate hitting the horn by accident wen throwing the steering wheel while drifting or messing around. Love the innovation though!
blockedwizard is offline  
Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 104
Default

Originally Posted by blockedwizard View Post
Looks top notch for sure. I would buy one of those if I wasn't changing my wheel, I hate hitting the horn by accident wen throwing the steering wheel while drifting or messing around. Love the innovation though!




Thanks! i thought about getting a new wheel too, but i didnt like any of the ones within my price range
RX-7racer is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
zenki.fc
RX-7 & RX-8 Parts For Sale & Wanted
2
07-29-2014 02:13 PM
NVW55V
RX-7 & RX-8 Parts For Sale & Wanted
1
12-24-2010 12:19 PM
hsmidy
Rotary Engine Building, Porting & Swaps
1
05-09-2008 07:58 PM
theteep
1st Generation Specific
2
08-26-2003 11:16 PM
Flyrx7
RX-7 & RX-8 Parts For Sale & Wanted
7
11-14-2002 07:16 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Steering wheel Center


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.