Single Turbo Discussion Area for discussing single turbo RX-7's.

Bosch Pumps

Old 03-08-2005, 07:43 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: California
Posts: 22,466
Default

tsb# 1234567



affected vehicles: anything with a bosch fuel pump



we regret to inform you that running a bosch pump may lead to the pump wearing out prematurely, and to a loss of fuel flow and pressure.



symptoms: taking car to dyno and not being able to tune past xx(low psi) due to running out of fuel, despite bosch pump and large injectors.



diagnosis: with the fuel return line pinched off the pump should be able to make more than 90psi.



correction: replace bosch pump
j9fd3s is offline  
Old 03-08-2005, 10:05 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,108
Default

Originally Posted by j9fd3s' date='Mar 8 2005, 08:42 PM
tsb# 1234567



affected vehicles: anything with a bosch fuel pump



we regret to inform you that running a bosch pump may lead to the pump wearing out prematurely, and to a loss of fuel flow and pressure.



symptoms: taking car to dyno and not being able to tune past xx(low psi) due to running out of fuel, despite bosch pump and large injectors.



diagnosis: with the fuel return line pinched off the pump should be able to make more than 90psi.



correction: replace bosch pump



the 3 rotor was a little too thirsty eh?
Cheers! is offline  
Old 03-08-2005, 11:55 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: California
Posts: 22,466
Default

no it wasnt my car. 40,000mile fd with a bosch pump, pump was too worn out to go over like 10psi....
j9fd3s is offline  
Old 03-08-2005, 11:55 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arizona
Posts: 90
Default

What was the PN on your bosch pump? I had 3 bosch pumps on my car and didn't have any issues. I had 1 bosch 61 979 pump feeding a fuel catch can and 2x bosch 61 984 pumps feeding the engine. The 979 pump is rated at 165lph and the 984 pumps are rated at 228lph @ 73.5psi. Did you only have 1 pump on your car? Where did the above information come from?



-Destin
sillbeer is offline  
Old 03-09-2005, 02:38 AM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arizona
Posts: 90
Default

Here's a graph showing the flow rates between a stock 3rd gen fuel pump, walbro gs341 pump, and a bosch 220lph pump. The bosch pump outperforms most other pumps at higher pressure. There must have been something faulty with your buddy's pump.



-Destin
sillbeer is offline  
Old 03-09-2005, 08:35 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: California
Posts: 22,466
Default

Originally Posted by sillbeer' date='Mar 9 2005, 12:38 AM
Here's a graph showing the flow rates between a stock 3rd gen fuel pump, walbro gs341 pump, and a bosch 220lph pump. The bosch pump outperforms most other pumps at higher pressure. There must have been something faulty with your buddy's pump.



-Destin



yes thats what i'm trying to tell you. the pumps wear out, check yours before you loose the motor.
j9fd3s is offline  
Old 03-09-2005, 06:55 PM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arizona
Posts: 90
Default

Bosch makes oem fuel pumps for Prosche, Saab, Benz, and may other high end cars. Do you think they would put crap in those cars? Bosch specializes in fuel components.

They created the first fuel injection system in 1967. I don't think they would still be in business today if they sold crap.



Was your buddy running an inline fitler before the pump or just the oem filter after the pump? If not it may have gotten contaminated which will cause premature pump failure. Also if the pump didn't see enough fuel it may have overheated and failed. Fuel is used for lubrication and cooling of the pump.



-Destin
sillbeer is offline  
Old 03-09-2005, 07:20 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: California
Posts: 22,466
Default

Originally Posted by sillbeer' date='Mar 9 2005, 04:55 PM
Bosch makes oem fuel pumps for Prosche, Saab, Benz, and may other high end cars. Do you think they would put crap in those cars? Bosch specializes in fuel components.

They created the first fuel injection system in 1967. I don't think they would still be in business today if they sold crap.



Was your buddy running an inline fitler before the pump or just the oem filter after the pump? If not it may have gotten contaminated which will cause premature pump failure. Also if the pump didn't see enough fuel it may have overheated and failed. Fuel is used for lubrication and cooling of the pump.



-Destin



have you ever owned a german car?
j9fd3s is offline  
Old 03-09-2005, 07:31 PM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arizona
Posts: 90
Default

Me, no. I drove my dads Audi when I was younger and i've driven plenty of VW's. What relevance does that have to the product quality though? none. Do you have any proof that there crap or are you basing everything off one incident?



-Destin
sillbeer is offline  
Old 03-09-2005, 07:39 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: California
Posts: 22,466
Default

Originally Posted by sillbeer' date='Mar 9 2005, 05:31 PM
Me, no. I drove my dads Audi when I was younger and i've driven plenty of VW's. What relevance does that have to the product quality though? none. Do you have any proof that there crap or are you basing everything off one incident?



-Destin



the #1 no start/stuck by the side of the road for a german car is the fuel pump, they do fail regularly.



however ive never seen a pump that wore out. we have one bad worn out pump, and the tuning shop had seen a few too. last time the car was there they tuned it to 14psi, this time they couldnt get it up to 10.....
j9fd3s is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bosch Pumps


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.