2nd Generation Specific 1986-1992 Discussion

Carbon Fiber interior parts

Old 11-30-2010, 07:43 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 104
Default

Has anyone made there own carbon fiber interior parts. Im especially intereted in making a carbon fiber stereo surround because mine is craked in two places. Also if anyne knows how to make decent repair to cracked interior pieces let me know cause im open to just fixing the one i have cause i just want a good looking stereo surround
RX-7racer is offline  
Old 12-01-2010, 12:41 PM
  #2  
Super Moderator
 
mazdaspeed7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Savannah, Ga
Posts: 2,763
Default

Ive looked into it, theres just no market for it. Its too complicated to make for cheap, and FC owners wont pay for a good one.
mazdaspeed7 is offline  
Old 12-01-2010, 01:41 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 104
Default

Originally Posted by mazdaspeed7 View Post
Ive looked into it, theres just no market for it. Its too complicated to make for cheap, and FC owners wont pay for a good one.




im not really looking to sell them, i just want to make one for myself, would you know what to make the mold out of? im looking to make a stereo surround bezel and possibly a guage surround bezel.
RX-7racer is offline  
Old 12-01-2010, 03:39 PM
  #4  
Super Moderator
 
mazdaspeed7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Savannah, Ga
Posts: 2,763
Default

Originally Posted by RX-7racer View Post
im not really looking to sell them, i just want to make one for myself, would you know what to make the mold out of? im looking to make a stereo surround bezel and possibly a guage surround bezel.




The short answer is if you dont already know, you are already in over your head. The longer answer is there are many ways to make a mold, including flberglass. But if you dont have experience molding fiberglass, you are in for a steep and expensive learning curve.



Its far easier to repair your broken stuff then to make new trim parts from scratch. If nothing else, replicating the mounting clips is a PITA.
mazdaspeed7 is offline  
Old 12-01-2010, 07:51 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 104
Default

Originally Posted by mazdaspeed7 View Post
The short answer is if you dont already know, you are already in over your head. The longer answer is there are many ways to make a mold, including flberglass. But if you dont have experience molding fiberglass, you are in for a steep and expensive learning curve.



Its far easier to repair your broken stuff then to make new trim parts from scratch. If nothing else, replicating the mounting clips is a PITA.




i know its gonna be a challenge to learn how. but i feel like it is a skill worth while leaning.

and its not the mounting parts that are cracked, the actual piece is cracked in half. Im wondering if i could be fixed with plastic glue, a little bit of filler and some paint. but im not sure if it will turn out the way i want. It may be worth it though because the guy tht has the car before me spray painted it silver nd didnt do such a good job. I now i could d much better
RX-7racer is offline  
Old 01-05-2011, 06:59 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 737
Default

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZDA-RX7-89-91-FC3S-CARBON-FIBER-INSTRUMENT-CONSOLE-/300511290627?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &fits=Make%3AMazda|Model%3ARX-7&hash=item45f7de6503 BAM
RicerJ is offline  
Old 01-05-2011, 07:08 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: fredericksburg, va
Posts: 167
Default

I have seen a few CF stereo surrounds as they are nice to look at, but if you don't have other CF interior pieces it just looks out of place IMO.
RotorDad is offline  
Old 01-05-2011, 11:15 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Elyria, OH
Posts: 10
Default

just startn is offline  
Old 01-06-2011, 03:34 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 737
Default

there is also a shifter surround with a rotor shape where you have your shifter
RicerJ is offline  
Old 01-06-2011, 06:07 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: fredericksburg, va
Posts: 167
Default

Getting a few CF interior pieces would make a good look.
RotorDad is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber interior parts


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.