2nd Generation Specific 1986-1992 Discussion

ACT light Flywheel

Old 01-02-2006, 11:41 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: QUEENS NYC
Posts: 1,687
Default

Can i use the rear counterbalance from the n/a automatic rx7 for the ACT light flywheel. Im selling one on ebay for like $40 bucks. Just need to know



Im pretty sure its okay from what i heard



http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMESE%3AIT



jason NYC
ROTARYROCKET7 is offline  
Old 01-03-2006, 08:58 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,108
Default

The counter weights all came from NA rx7s. Not TurboIIs came with automatics in north america.



The rear counter weight must match the series of the car you are going to use it.



Ie.



series 4 with series 4 (86-88)

Series 5 with series 5 (89-91) <- which you can also use in FDs, and 13bre motors.



Make sure you don't mix up the counter weights. ie. it is impossible to tell a series 4 counter weight from a series 5 counter weight if you forgot which one was which.
Cheers&#33; is offline  
Old 01-03-2006, 10:08 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: QUEENS NYC
Posts: 1,687
Default

Originally Posted by Cheers!' post='791675' date='Jan 3 2006, 06:58 AM

The counter weights all came from NA rx7s. Not TurboIIs came with automatics in north america.



The rear counter weight must match the series of the car you are going to use it.



Ie.



series 4 with series 4 (86-88)

Series 5 with series 5 (89-91) <- which you can also use in FDs, and 13bre motors.



Make sure you don't mix up the counter weights. ie. it is impossible to tell a series 4 counter weight from a series 5 counter weight if you forgot which one was which.


sO my main thing is for the act flywheel you need an counterbalance, cuase i read somewhere one guy bought the counterbalance and found out later on he didnt need it, dunno if hes right but im pretty sure u need the balance for an act flywheel



Jason NYC

jason NYC
ROTARYROCKET7 is offline  
Old 01-03-2006, 03:16 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 277
Default

na and turbo rotas use the same counter weight for same model eg s4 na and turbo the same.

fd counter weight is lighter than s5 fc and will cause vibration which will stuff bearings or break apex seals.
Nospig is offline  
Old 01-03-2006, 10:40 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 485
Default

Originally Posted by ROTARYROCKET7' post='791684' date='Jan 3 2006, 08:08 AM

sO my main thing is for the act flywheel you need an counterbalance, cuase i read somewhere one guy bought the counterbalance and found out later on he didnt need it, dunno if hes right but im pretty sure u need the balance for an act flywheel



Jason NYC

jason NYC
IT all depends if you need one or not. My flywheel needed one because it had not extra weight on one side and was thin. The counter balance will add that extra meat that you need to make proper fitment. It just depends on if your flywheel has the key slot needed. I just had fun intsalling my 8lbs flywheel last weekend. So have fun doing it.
donhayes is offline  
Old 01-05-2006, 08:48 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,108
Default

Originally Posted by Nospig' post='791723' date='Jan 3 2006, 04:16 PM

na and turbo rotas use the same counter weight for same model eg s4 na and turbo the same.

fd counter weight is lighter than s5 fc and will cause vibration which will stuff bearings or break apex seals.


Nope. Wrong.



counter weight mazda part numbers:

FD: N351-11-521

S5: N351-11-521



I'm also certain the 13B cosmo with the 13B-RE motor uses the same counter weight as well...







[attachment=35548:attachment]

[attachment=35549:attachment]





That is also the reason why you can use a FD stock flywheel in a S5TII car. I used that for 3 years until I had to change the clutch again and got a 8.5 lbs fidanza flywheel. The FD one worked pretty good. It weighed 18.X lbs, and you can get them for free usually from FD owners who dont' want clutter in their garage.
Cheers&#33; is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
FC Alex
RX-7 & RX-8 Parts For Sale & Wanted
11
02-12-2004 01:37 AM
Rxmfn7
RX-7 & RX-8 Parts For Sale & Wanted
0
11-04-2003 08:06 PM
DAVE
RX-7 & RX-8 Parts For Sale & Wanted
7
04-01-2002 10:15 AM
DAVE
2nd Generation Specific
6
03-21-2002 02:09 PM
MIKE-P-28
1st Generation Specific
2
10-13-2001 10:12 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ACT light Flywheel


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.