2nd Generation Specific 1986-1992 Discussion

13bt strength

Old 12-03-2006, 11:52 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: columbus ohio
Posts: 285
Default

ive been reading and ive came across a few ppl sayin that the s4 TII's were only good to about 400hp before they start to crack around the dowel in and are unreliable, is this true? and what about the s5's? are the the same, cuz i heard they were more reinforced?
jdm12a is offline  
Old 12-04-2006, 12:22 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Douglasville, GA
Posts: 133
Default

go s5, and dont look back
rotaryturtle is offline  
Old 12-04-2006, 10:07 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: California
Posts: 22,466
Default

s5 is stronger. but if the tuning is right, the s4 can support 500ish hp
j9fd3s is offline  
Old 12-04-2006, 10:16 AM
  #4  
BDC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Grand Prairie, TX
Posts: 917
Default

Originally Posted by jdm12a' post='847808' date='Dec 3 2006, 09:52 PM

ive been reading and ive came across a few ppl sayin that the s4 TII's were only good to about 400hp before they start to crack around the dowel in and are unreliable, is this true? and what about the s5's? are the the same, cuz i heard they were more reinforced?


That is absolutely untrue. The strength issue is a bogus one. The problem is the lateral deflection of the rotor housings carrying the dowel pins, stressing the dowel lands on the front and rear irons. Mazda in about 90 or so began casting the irons w/ thicker dowel lands to help keep them from breaking. True, sheer power won't break a land; severe knock may do it.



B
BDC is offline  
Old 12-04-2006, 03:25 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: columbus ohio
Posts: 285
Default

Originally Posted by BDC' post='847849' date='Dec 4 2006, 08:16 AM

That is absolutely untrue. The strength issue is a bogus one. The problem is the lateral deflection of the rotor housings carrying the dowel pins, stressing the dowel lands on the front and rear irons. Mazda in about 90 or so began casting the irons w/ thicker dowel lands to help keep them from breaking. True, sheer power won't break a land; severe knock may do it.



B


would having an rtek ecu 1.7/1.8 help prevent this?
jdm12a is offline  
Old 12-05-2006, 04:01 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: tucson az
Posts: 120
Default

yes but you should not go for 400hp with just the Rtek.

and the power WILL break the land in situations such a drag launches or when the clutch is dumped quickly, especially with the stock flywheel.
ikari89 is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 11:43 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: PHX
Posts: 265
Default

This is a S4 that broke when a customers wastegate hose popped off and he over boosted. Motor didnt blow apart, and no signs of detonation probably due to the alcohol injection, was perfect inside other than this. He was putting down over 400WHP.



The casting of a S5 is close to double the thickness in this area.
Tom93R1 is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 10:48 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 574
Default

tom, since when did you start posting on NP?
Node is offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 12:36 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Boston Ma.
Posts: 1,420
Default

Originally Posted by ikari89' post='848059' date='Dec 5 2006, 05:01 PM
yes but you should not go for 400hp with just the Rtek.

and the power WILL break the land in situations such a drag launches or when the clutch is dumped quickly, especially with the stock flywheel.
I agree, I think the torsion of the housing stack contributes to cracking the land and broken seals in some cases. (In the FC and similar setups) I dont think the trans is mounted rigid enough, and torsional stress is sent right to that rear iron and rtr housing.
RONIN FC is offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 03:16 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: California
Posts: 22,466
Default

j9fd3s is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
BridgeportTurbo
Rotary Engine Building, Porting & Swaps
3
06-01-2008 12:19 PM
BDC
Rotary Engine Failure Discussion
47
07-10-2006 05:26 AM
ducktape
1st Generation Specific
3
01-03-2006 04:52 PM
FB MAZDATURBO
3rd Generation Specific
1
07-02-2005 05:12 PM
astrochild7
Rotary Engine Building, Porting & Swaps
6
12-28-2003 07:16 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 13bt strength


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.