Single Turbo Discussion Area for discussing single turbo RX-7's.

Well I Did It...

Old 01-16-2004, 07:39 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 629
Default

Moving away from my modified T78 to a full-on GT40R. Turbo should be here in two weeks or so and based on my car's current performance with the same compressor wheel, I'm expecting big things from the full BB turbo. I'll be sending my T78 out for a full rebuild and then selling it. If anyone is looking to upgrade their T78, the compressor side on my turbo has been upgraded with the GT40R's 88mm compressor wheel. Jason at the RX7store/forum made over 460rwhp on pump gas with this same turbo, 506 with 100octane at 20(?)psi.



Assuming nothing else goes wrong with my car after the new turbo is on, I should hit the dyno for tuning fairly soon after the swap is complete.
rx7tt95 is offline  
Old 01-16-2004, 09:01 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: S.w. Florida boring ass ft myers to be exact. where the old people come to die
Posts: 1,176
Default

michel i love my ball bearing turbo. all i can say really is ooooh ahhhhhhh!!!!
apexkw is offline  
Old 01-17-2004, 01:49 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Richmond, B.C.
Posts: 136
Default

Hey Michel, when did you order it? Sean sez it'll take 4-6 wks for mine. BTW, according to the Garrett website, the GT40 is a journal bearing turbo not ball-bearing. The GT42R is BB. I can't find whether there is a GT40R turbo.
HedgeHog is offline  
Old 01-17-2004, 12:25 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 1,675
Default

Probably a custom turbo like thr 35/40 was
Silver Ninety Three is offline  
Old 01-17-2004, 12:41 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 126
Default

Originally Posted by HedgeHog' date='Jan 17 2004, 01:49 AM
Hey Michel, when did you order it? Sean sez it'll take 4-6 wks for mine. BTW, according to the Garrett website, the GT40 is a journal bearing turbo not ball-bearing. The GT42R is BB. I can't find whether there is a GT40R turbo.
No worries the reason it is only two weeks for him it is just the turbo. So I just order it and send it off.



-Sean
Zero R is offline  
Old 01-17-2004, 12:42 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 126
Default

Originally Posted by Silver Ninety Three' date='Jan 17 2004, 12:25 PM
Probably a custom turbo like thr 35/40 was
???????? not understanding this one.
Zero R is offline  
Old 01-17-2004, 01:08 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 629
Default

The GT40 R BB is their newest entry and as such Garrett hasn't updated their catalog yet....sometimes the marketing departments are a bit slow in getting things out. Most of the turbos available in the Garrett PDF catalog were out years ago but there was no catalog. The BB does exist. Several shops carry them but A-spec was the easiest to deal with as they're familiar with it's installation on FD's which normally isn't a bolt-on affair with this turbo due to the strange turbine discharge setup. A-Spec has taken the time to make the turbo work on an FD without a bunch of machining by the end purchaser. Less of a headach for me. My FD's given me enough headaches over the past year so I didn't need another to deal with



More than likely, I will purchase the rest of the kit at some point in the not too distant future. My manifold is not fully divided and I'm sure the A-spec manifold will make a difference. Not to mention it's ALL V-band.
rx7tt95 is offline  
Old 01-17-2004, 01:25 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Richmond, B.C.
Posts: 136
Default

Originally Posted by Zero R' date='Jan 17 2004, 10:41 AM
No worries the reason it is only two weeks for him it is just the turbo. So I just order it and send it off.



-Sean
Gotcha...thx for the clarification.
HedgeHog is offline  
Old 01-17-2004, 01:27 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Richmond, B.C.
Posts: 136
Default

Originally Posted by rx7tt95' date='Jan 17 2004, 11:08 AM
The GT40 R BB is their newest entry and as such Garrett hasn't updated their catalog yet....sometimes the marketing departments are a bit slow in getting things out. Most of the turbos available in the Garrett PDF catalog were out years ago but there was no catalog. The BB does exist. Several shops carry them but A-spec was the easiest to deal with as they're familiar with it's installation on FD's which normally isn't a bolt-on affair with this turbo due to the strange turbine discharge setup. A-Spec has taken the time to make the turbo work on an FD without a bunch of machining by the end purchaser. Less of a headach for me. My FD's given me enough headaches over the past year so I didn't need another to deal with



More than likely, I will purchase the rest of the kit at some point in the not too distant future. My manifold is not fully divided and I'm sure the A-spec manifold will make a difference. Not to mention it's ALL V-band.
OIC...btw, what are u planning to do wrt air filter? Just a K&N, special plumbing, or other brands? Also, who's doing your PFC maps afterwards (i suspect it'll be close to your T78)?
HedgeHog is offline  
Old 01-17-2004, 06:24 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 629
Default

Hedge, (I haven't talked with you in a while btw...) I pretty much do my own tuning. Once I get it where I want it I will post my map on the Datalogit forum. Seems only fair given the amount of help everyone on that list has given me in the past :-)



As for the filter, I'm "assuming" it's a 4" inlet, same as my T78. I've found two different HKS filters that will work with the T78 and the front mount IC. Again assuming the GT40R isn't appreciably longer than the T78, my current setup will work . The two filters that work (besides the K&N) are both made by HKS and can be readily found online unlike the GReddy filter which will take you half a year to acquire. The first is the HKS Superz Power Flow filter, PN#1504-SA008. It's a 200mm filter body (aka BIG) with a 100mm inlet (about 4"). Yes, it's green, but there are cheap HKS replacement elements in several colors available for about $12. The second is also from HKS and is the new Metalflow stuff...If you've ever seen the Blitz filters, you'll know what the Metalflows look like. It's a stainless mesh with titanium-coated top and bottom. It's cone shaped like the K&N's, flat top, but the top is also a filter so there's lots of "area" in the filter itself. It has the same dimensions, 200mm filter w/ 100mm inlet, PN# 1510-SA015.



The reason I went with these two filters as opposed to a much cheaper K&N is due to my vented hood. Any rain falls on the filter and would wash the oil off the K&N. Won't have that problem with either of the HKS filters. Now, for the A-Spec full kit, I understand it's positioned down and back further than the T78 kit. Sean will probably know what fits best but I would imagine you could use a much longer filter that isn't quite as big diameter wise.



Hey Sean, can you supply an oil feed line for this turbo or is that something that comes from overseas with the rest of the kit? I'm sure my current line would work with the appropriate adapter, but it's a good practice to use a new oil supply line with a new turbo. Cheap insurance.
rx7tt95 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well I Did It...


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.