2nd Generation Specific 1986-1992 Discussion

'88 GXL not starting, not flooded, have video

Old 03-12-2006, 06:26 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4
Default

My recently purcahsed '88 GXL is not starting. It was running fine except with some random idle issues (BAC I think) and when I went to start it to go to lunch at work... it would not fire up.



Discription.

Turn the key, all electrics work (vents, lights, gauges, windows et al, full power).

Try to start. Loud electric (ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRZZZZZZZ) (countinous sound)

Belts and fan move when starting atempt.



No smell of gas and no smoke. I have not been able to get the spark-plugs off to see if its flooded for sure, seeing my spark-plug ratchet adapter head is not long enough to go over the plug and reach the base to turn em out.



Engine start atempt video



Soud is coming from the driver side of the engien bay I believe.
Corbic is offline  
Old 03-12-2006, 08:34 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: C-town,MD
Posts: 696
Default

Originally Posted by Corbic' post='807522' date='Mar 12 2006, 04:26 PM

My recently purcahsed '88 GXL is not starting. It was running fine except with some random idle issues (BAC I think) and when I went to start it to go to lunch at work... it would not fire up.



Discription.

Turn the key, all electrics work (vents, lights, gauges, windows et al, full power).

Try to start. Loud electric (ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRZZZZZZZ) (countinous sound)

Belts and fan move when starting atempt.



No smell of gas and no smoke. I have not been able to get the spark-plugs off to see if its flooded for sure, seeing my spark-plug ratchet adapter head is not long enough to go over the plug and reach the base to turn em out.



Engine start atempt video



Soud is coming from the driver side of the engien bay I believe.
I am not clicking **** with you only having 1 post~
loudazzrx7 is offline  
Old 03-12-2006, 08:43 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4
Default

Originally Posted by loudazzrx7' post='807539' date='Mar 12 2006, 09:34 PM

I am not clicking **** with you only having 1 post~




Thanks dood.



I'm on Club RX-7 and VWvortex.com, same screen name. Billion friggen posts for Vortex and most of TCL should know me. Also ever thought of getting Nod32 or something, then you don't have to worry about virusis.
Corbic is offline  
Old 03-12-2006, 10:58 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 75
Default

For some reason, im not sure, but it looks/sounds like its turning over way to fast.
DeformityX is offline  
Old 03-13-2006, 01:26 AM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4
Default

Originally Posted by DJs FC3s' post='807567' date='Mar 12 2006, 11:58 PM

For some reason, im not sure, but it looks/sounds like its turning over way to fast.




Well I went back again. (its pouring rain, freaken awsome). The engine is not cranking/turning. I think the gears on the starter are simply ground to nothing and the starter is just spinning.



I'm guessing, the engine flooded, the atempts to start then killed an readly ancient starter and now I need to unflood the engine and get a new starter. I have a lead on a used starter for $40 (good price?) and my question is, does this require some serious installations work (lift the engine or remove subframe pieces). I left the haynes in the RX-7 (pouring rain) and won't be able to get it back till late tommarow.



Also, I'm thinking of atempting to I guess "clutch start it". With the car in gear, and two friends pushing, try and start the car.... yes know? I know it works if your battery is dead.
Corbic is offline  
Old 03-13-2006, 12:06 PM
  #6  
div
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 20
Default

Originally Posted by Corbic' post='807582' date='Mar 13 2006, 01:26 AM

Well I went back again. (its pouring rain, freaken awsome). The engine is not cranking/turning. I think the gears on the starter are simply ground to nothing and the starter is just spinning.



I'm guessing, the engine flooded, the atempts to start then killed an readly ancient starter and now I need to unflood the engine and get a new starter. I have a lead on a used starter for $40 (good price?) and my question is, does this require some serious installations work (lift the engine or remove subframe pieces). I left the haynes in the RX-7 (pouring rain) and won't be able to get it back till late tommarow.



Also, I'm thinking of atempting to I guess "clutch start it". With the car in gear, and two friends pushing, try and start the car.... yes know? I know it works if your battery is dead.


The starter turns the motor (e-shaft), the motor turns the accessories. If your fan and accessories are spinning, and from the video they are, then the motor is turning. From the sound - it's spinning way too fast to have any compression.
div is offline  
Old 03-13-2006, 02:28 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wayne, NJ
Posts: 4,838
Default

yea im guessing you really flooded your motor good. pull the plugs and EGI fuse and crank for a while. leave plugs out let it sit for a while so it dries, put fuse back in and put plug back in.



kevin.
teknics is offline  
Old 03-13-2006, 09:46 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: pueblo, colorado
Posts: 193
Default

bump starting a flooded car works. id do what he said above, and if it wotn start bump start it.if alot of smoke comes out, thats the fuel burning off.
cdaleracer669 is offline  
Old 03-13-2006, 11:26 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wayne, NJ
Posts: 4,838
Default

yea pullstarting or bump starting is the next alternative.



kevin.
teknics is offline  
Old 03-15-2006, 10:42 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: WA, Renton
Posts: 714
Default

started looks like its working fine in the video,sounds like its cranking kinda fast id suspect flooding.



if your starter now is dead, replacing it is very simple, well as simple as most RWD cars, jack up car get under it disconect it and its like 2 bolts voila!



yeah push start has allways worked for me, do it in 1st gear, and try and get it going kinda fast if u can ( if its flooded bad in 2nd it wont turn fast enouhg to make up for the lost compression from flooding)
KompressorLOgic is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
lxk199
2nd Generation Specific
4
02-23-2006 12:44 PM
Arcane1968
2nd Generation Specific
2
03-05-2003 10:51 AM
Baldy
2nd Generation Specific
24
01-28-2003 01:20 PM
donhayes
2nd Generation Specific
22
01-04-2003 05:37 PM
Streamline
2nd Generation Specific
6
10-15-2002 04:29 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '88 GXL not starting, not flooded, have video


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.